Manager I, Engineering - API Reliability
Paris, France; Madrid, Spain
Our API Reliability engineers are strong developers and have a good background in systems, blending deep and practical knowledge of infrastructure design and deployments. They are at the frontline maintaining and expanding the capabilities of our web-facing applications and infrastructure, and focus on the stability, scalability, observability, deployments, and developer experience around public APIs.
As an Engineering Manager, you will help us realize this mission by continuing to build out the API Reliability team and actively drive reliability initiatives that have an impact on multiple teams at Datadog.
At Datadog, we place value in our office culture - the relationships that it builds, the creativity it brings to the table, and the collaboration of being together. We operate as a hybrid workplace to ensure our employees can create a work-life harmony that best fits them.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and mentor a team of experienced SREs around the globe who are passionate about building a culture of reliability at Datadog.
- Provide internal tooling and frameworks that empower teams to develop, maintain and manage web-facing applications.
- Codify proven practices to improve developer experience and service reliability.
- Explore new ways to strengthen, automate, deploy and manage our web facing infrastructure at scale on multiple regions and cloud providers.
- Define the future of our API platform and supporting infrastructure.
- Help our group track its engineering risks, prioritize them with other leaders, and organize cross-functional squads to fix them with hands-on technical work.
Who You Are:
- You have 2 years experience as a people manager or technical leader with strong mentorship skills. Ideally candidates will have experience in career development, performance management, tracking and optimizing team velocity, sprint planning, OKRs, and hiring.
- You have 1-2 years experience in the SRE domain as this team is responsible for running mission critical systems.
- You have at least 5 years of experience with distributed web applications and running 24/7 production environments
- You have production experience with distributed web applications, e.g. envoy, haproxy, ALB, redis, authn/authz
- You have experience with incident management
- You have a track record as an engineer in the operations of a large site
- You value correctness and efficiency; you leave no stone unturned when diagnosing production issues
- You handle infrastructure with code because automation lets you focus on the more difficult and rewarding problems
- Good coding skills in Go and/or Python. We automate as many manual processes as possible and use code to scale our impact. Our managers are expected to take a hands-on role when necessary: writing and reviewing software, as well as setting technical direction with design docs.
- Empathy, collaboration, and communication skills in English.
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That's okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your skills, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits and Growth:
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Continuous professional development, product training, and career pathing
- Intradepartmental mentor and buddy program for in-house networking
- An inclusive company culture, ability to join our Community Guilds (Datadog employee resource groups)
- Access to Inclusion Talks, our Internal panel discussions
- Free, global mental health benefits for employees and dependents age 6+
- Competitive global benefits
Benefits and Growth listed above may vary based on the country of your employment and the nature of your employment with Datadog.
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.