Commercial Counsel (Denver, SF)
San Francisco, California, USA; Denver, Colorado, USA
This opportunity provides a platform for professional growth and the chance to play a critical role in the success of a rapidly growing and innovative SaaS company. In this role, you will continue developing your negotiation and communication skills in support of sophisticated enterprise deals, while also having the opportunity to influence and refine Datadog's business and operational policies. The role will involve close collaboration with cross-functional teams such as sales, deal desk, privacy, and product legal, serving as a trusted advisor known for providing strong solutions and practical advice. Moreover, this position will offer exposure to cutting-edge SaaS technology areas such as privacy, security, and AI/ML, allowing you to stay at the forefront of the industry.
At Datadog, we place value in our office culture - the relationships and collaboration it builds and the creativity it brings to the table. We operate as a hybrid workplace to ensure our Datadogs can create a work-life harmony that best fits them.
What You’ll Do:
- Review and negotiate customer subscription agreements and ancillary documents such as DPAs and BAAs.
- Partner with a seasoned legal team to provide practical and decisive guidance to internal business teams.
- Train sales team members on strategies for negotiating with customers.
- Support the ongoing improvement of our contract templates, playbooks, and processes.
- Collaborate with other teams within Legal and across the company to support Datadog’s acceleration of revenue generation and reduction of risk by being a trusted advisor, translating business needs to contractual commitments and legal advice.
Who You Are:
- 5+ years law firm and/or in-house commercial transactional experience.
Preferred candidates will have at least 3 years of experience in drafting and negotiating SaaS contracts and 2 years of in-house commercial transactions experience.
- Someone who is looking to expand their experience and skills in negotiating, communicating, and educating.
- Someone with integrity, excellent judgment, and a high degree of emotional intelligence; you are prepared to build strong collaboration channels with peers and stakeholders across the business and ready to identify pathways to success with our customers.
- Comfortable working independently, adhering to established processes, and able to recognize when you need guidance.
- Excited to drive contracts to closure and are comfortable partnering with clients in sales, where you will prioritize multiple deals simultaneously while supporting tight deadlines.
- Familiar with SaaS and related technology areas, including privacy and intellectual property.
- Licensed to practice law and have earned a JD and bar admission in the U.S.
- Able to work out of our San Francisco or Denver office.
- Additional consideration will be made for candidates business-fluent in Spanish and/or Portuguese and/or with experience negotiating commercial contracts with counterparties in Latin America.
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That's okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your skills, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits and Growth:
- New hire stock equity (RSU) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Continuous professional development, product training, and career pathing
- Intra-departmental mentor and buddy program for in-house networking
- An inclusive company culture, opportunity to join our Community Guilds
- Generous and competitive benefits package
- Continuous career development and pathing opportunities
Benefits and Growth listed above may vary based on the country of your employment and the nature of your employment with Datadog.
The reasonably estimated salary for this role at Datadog ranges from $170,000.00 to $250,000.00, plus a competitive equity package, and may include variable compensation. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition, Datadog offers a wide range of best in class, comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits for this role including healthcare, dental, parental planning, and mental health benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, paid time off, fitness reimbursements, and a discounted employee stock purchase plan.
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Here are our Candidate Legal Notices for your reference.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.