Security Software Engineer
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at a high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The AAA organization is responsible for safeguarding our Datadog platform by providing Identity and access control solutions. We are looking for strong candidates to define, own, and deliver software solutions for the program over the next few years. We will be working with a wide variety of teams throughout the organization to understand their secrets usage and deliver transparent yet robust solutions. At the same time, we want to share our knowledge publicly so that not only our customers have increased confidence in us, but so that we help the rest of the industry meet their own security of secrets needs.
We are looking for a Security Software Engineer who will help us review, design, implement, and test security for a wide variety of AAA products.
At Datadog, we place value in our office culture - the relationships that it builds, the creativity it brings to the table, and the collaboration of being together. We operate as a hybrid workplace to ensure our employees can create a work-life harmony that best fits them.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with geographically distributed software engineers and security engineers
- Translating high-level initiatives into concrete deliverables
- Performing systematic threat modeling of AAA services and datadog platform
- Designing security solutions to mitigate risks identified in threat models
- Writing secure yet performant code for new applications and services
- Writing and reviewing design documents
- Participate in security incidents related to AAA and secrets management
Who You Are:
- A software security engineer for at least 4-5 years
- Familiar with security fundamentals, especially applied cryptography and AAA mechanisms
- Proficient in a common programming language (such as Go, or Python) with a willingness to learn Go, if necessary
- Experienced with secrets management systems such as Hashicorp Vault, AWS KMS, GCP KMS, and Azure Key Vault
- A writer of good technical documentation
- A fast learner who is able to pick up new ideas in software and security on the fly
- Confident representing your ideas and opinions in a manner that can be challenged, while responding well to feedback
- Comfortable working independently
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That’s okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your skills, we encourage you to apply.
- Skilled in cloud service providers such as AWS, GCP, and/or Azure
- A master of DevOps and deploying your own apps using cloud-native technologies such as Bazel, Docker, gRPC, Helm, k8s, Protobuf, and Terraform
- Publication and or open source project contribution related to AAA, applied cryptography
- Experienced with the Datadog line of products
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Continuous professional development, product training, and career pathing
- Intradepartmental mentor and buddy program for in-house networking
- An inclusive company culture, ability to join our Community Guilds (Datadog employee resource groups)
- Access to Inclusion Talks, our internal panel discussions
- Free, global mental health benefits for employees and dependents age 6+
- Competitive global benefits
The reasonably estimated salary for this role at Datadog ranges from $130,000 - $300,000, plus a competitive equity package, and may include variable compensation. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition, Datadog offers a wide range of best in class, comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits for this role including healthcare, dental, parental planning, and mental health benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, paid time off, fitness reimbursements, and a discounted employee stock purchase plan.
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.